A Brief Q&A on Nebraska Slip-and-Fall Laws

A Brief Q&A on Nebraska Slip-and-Fall Laws

If you slip and fall on someone else’s property (commercial or residential) in Nebraska and are injured, it’s important to know and understand the state’s slip-and-fall laws.

What should I do if I have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident on someone else’s property?

When you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, your first concern should be your own health and safety. After your accident, get medical treatment for yourself if necessary. Contact the owner of the property and inform them of your accident. Document what happened and take pictures.

Get names of witnesses and photograph the area where the accident occurred. If applicable, take pictures of yourself and your injuries. Once your health is stable, contact Inkelaar Law to determine the next step.

Does the injury have to be bad in order to sue?

No, your injury doesn’t necessarily have to be “bad.” If you have been injured in an accident, particularly if your accident occurred because of some else’s negligence, you are entitled to sue.

Is there a statute of limitations on when I can file my claim?

Yes, there is a statute of limitations on how long you can take to file. According to Nebraska Revised statute 25-207, you have four years from the date of the incident to file a civil lawsuit against the responsible party. This should be plenty of time for you to understand the scope of your injuries and the full impact of your slip-and-fall accident.

When should I sue?

One important component of a lawsuit is understanding how much you were damaged by the fall. Sometimes, you might have an obvious injury like a broken ankle that takes precedence over a more subtle injury like your aching neck. Yet, it could be your neck injury that is the more persistent, chronic problem. You would want to know about this injury and your anticipated expenses for it before you file a suit and ask for money.

Otherwise, the decision of when exactly you should sue is something that you and your lawyer should discuss. Inkelaar Law knows the specifics of your case, he or she can offer valuable information to help you decide when the time is right.

What is “comparative negligence” and how can it impact my case?

Comparative negligence is the idea that you might share some of the blame with the property holder. For example, if you slipped and fell, but you were taking some pain medication at the time that might make you more prone to falling, then it could take away from your legal case.

Finally, it’s vital that when you speak with your lawyer, you share all the facts of your case. This information will impact your lawyer’s recommendations for how you should proceed, so make sure they know everything.

How can I contact Inkelaar Law?

If you’re looking for reliable personal injury lawyers in the Omaha area, contact Inkelaar Law. Our team is ready to answer your questions and help you get the compensation that you deserve. You can give our office a call at (402) 378-9551 or (402) 488-2251. Or, you could click on this link to contact us online.