Preventing Motorcycle Injuries in Omaha
Simple safety precautions can mean the difference between a minor injury and a serious injury if you are involved in a motorcycle crash.
The following list offers tips that may help prevent serious motorcycle injuries:
- Always wear a helmet. Helmets are your best defense against serious or fatal brain injuries. The best defense against injury is wearing a helmet equipped with eye and face protection.
- Wear protective clothing, such as long pants, boots, gloves, and a long-sleeved jacket to prevent your skin from being exposed to asphalt. Reflective clothing is recommended.
- Make sure you get a motorcycle license.
- Never operate a motorcycle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Diligently obey traffic laws, including posted speed limits. Forty percent of motorcycle accident deaths are caused by speeding.
- Be alert for road hazards and distracted drivers.
- Always turn on your headlight.
- Ensure that all passengers who ride with you wear a helmet and suitable protective clothing.
- Make sure your passenger always sits behind you on the motorcycle.
- The passenger’s feet should be able to touch the footrests during the entire ride, even during stops.
- Start the motorcycle before allowing passengers to get on.
- Instruct your passengers how to lean into the turn.
- Insist that passengers hold on to your waist at all times.
- Passengers should be instructed to keep their movements and talking to a minimum.
- Passengers should avoid touching the muffler to prevent burns to their legs.
Injured In A Crash? Contact Us Today
It is important to note that even safety-conscious riders can be seriously injured, however. If you have sustained injuries in a motorcycle accident, consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to ensure that you are fully compensated for all of your injuries.
At the law offices of Thomas T. Inkelaar, we have detailed knowledge of the auto accident laws in Nebraska and can help fully litigate your claim. To find out how we can help, call us today at 1-877-537-4665.