Know Your Rights: What to Do If You’re Attacked by a Dog in Nebraska
Being attacked by a dog can be downright terrifying. In the event of a dog attack, do you know what you should do? Well first it’s important to understand the state’s laws regarding this scenario:
Nebraska’s Dog Liability Law
In Nebraska, dogs are listed as personal property. This means that when a dog attacks or bites a person (or another animal), the owner is the responsible party. There are a couple of exceptions when the owner is not responsible for any damages. Examples of this are if the dog attacks a trespasser or if the dog is provoked to attack.
What to Do After a Dog Attack
After you or someone has been attacked:
- Get to a safe place. Always get to safety first before you worry about anything else.
- Call 911 if necessary. Your health and safety are priority.
- Identify the dog’s owner. This is a really important step. You need to find out if the dog is current on its shots or if there’s a risk that it might have rabies. If you can’t identify the dog or its owner, you need to call the police or Animal Control. In Omaha, you can reach Animal Control at 402-444-7800, extension 1.
- Seek medical attention if you didn’t have to call 911. If you discovered whether the dog was current on its shots or whether it has rabies, this information will be very helpful for medical professionals.
- Take photographs as soon as possible of your injury and the location where the attack happened. If there were witnesses that you know, make a list of their names.
- Call Animal Control to report the attack. If you didn’t have to call Animal Control earlier to come help you with the dog, now is the time. Even if you personally know the dog or its owner, you have an obligation to contact Animal Control any time there is an attack or a bite.
- Call a qualified Nebraska personal injury lawyer.
Before you talk to the dog owner or their insurance company, it’s important that you talk to a personal injury lawyer first. You want to make sure that you get the proper damages for all of your medical bills and any other expenditures that are a result of the attack.
At Inkelaar Law, we have the experience to help guide you through this difficult and stressful time. Call our qualified lawyers to discuss a legal strategy and start planning for your future. Give us a call today at (402) 999-9999.