Fremont Personal Injury Lawyer

If you were involved in a serious accident, you may be wondering if the damages you suffered would serve as valid grounds for a personal injury lawsuit. To successfully file a personal injury suit, you would typically first have to prove that you suffered physical injury and not just damage to your property.

Second, you would need to show that your injuries stemmed from the negligence of a person or business. After proving this, you would need to have recoverable damages like medical bills or lost time from work. An experienced Fremont personal injury lawyer could help you determine whether all these conditions apply to your case and represent your best interests if you decide to file suit. Reach out to one of our dedicated attorneys at Inkelaar Law to learn more about how a legal professional could help you recover damages. En Español.

Personal Injury Laws in Fremont

The laws regarding personal injury vary from state to state, but some concepts are consistent across state lines. In Nebraska, like in many other states, there is a time limit—codified as a statute of limitations —for how long you have after an accident to file a lawsuit for related damages.

The time limit for most Fremont personal injury cases is four years from the date of your accident. If you wait longer than that, the court is not required to hear your case. If you are getting close to the end of the four-year period, you should talk to a Fremont personal injury attorney about your filing options.

Modified Comparative Fault

Nebraska courts adhere to a modified comparative fault rule, which means that the amount of damages from a personal injury lawsuit is reduced if you are shown to be partially at fault in the accident. For example, if you were shown to be texting while driving prior to a car accident that injured you, you might be found partially to blame for the resulting collision.

As a result, your final damage award might be reduced by the same percentage you were found to be at fault—for instance, 40 percent fault would equate to a 40 percent deduction from your maximum award. Plaintiffs in Fremont who are more than 50 percent at fault may not collect any damages in court.

Types of Damages Available in Personal Injury Cases

A serious accident of any type or origin may result in you sustaining serious injuries, including but not limited to:

  • Spinal fracture
  • Concussion
  • Broken bones
  • Internal bleeding
  • Head injury
  • Back injuries
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder

Based on the severity of your injuries, you may be eligible for several different types of compensation. Compensable damages may be economic or non-economic in nature.

You may be entitled to compensation for your outstanding medical bills and for time lost from work during recovery. A judge may also order that you be reimbursed for the price of your vehicle and any other personal effects that were damaged during the accident if it was a car wreck.

Finally, you may be compensated for pain and suffering and other intangible losses—such as loss of consortium or loss of enjoyment of life—that resulted directly from your accident in Fremont. Our Fremont personal injury lawyers at Inkelaar Law could help you identify what injuries and losses you might be able to seek financial restitution for in court.

How a Fremont Personal Injury Attorney Could Help

If you think that you have a valid personal injury case, it may be important that you keep a record of all your medical bills, document your injuries thoroughly, and—most critical of all—contact a Fremont personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. You should seek treatment for your injuries, as failing to pursue medical treatment could be held against you if you elect to seek damages in civil court.

If you were injured because of someone else’s action or inaction, talk to a law firm with experience in the field of personal injury. Our dedicated legal team at Inkelaar Law could help you file a claim and will work with you towards a positive legal outcome. Remember, that there is a limited period to file a claim, so call today to get started on your case.